- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Through our humane education programs, our humane officer Marlene strive to help children develop empathy and a sense of justice, increase their understanding of personal responsibility for animals, people, and the environment, and become motivated to make a positive difference in the world. It encourages kindness and empathy for both human and nonhuman animals, and promotes understanding. We believe that by encouraging children we can help them develop humane ethics by which they can determine appropriate and inappropriate behavior and most importantly establish a sense of responsibility, making the world a better, more humane place. Sharing the love of animals also includes awareness of animal overpopulation and the reason for spaying and neutering. Our humane educator Marlene Metzger is available to address groups on a variety of topics related to Humane Education. Programs are available for all ages. Topics include, but are not limited to:
Site Visits - We can come to you, or you can come to us! We can bring a rescued dog to give your students some hands on learning experiences. We can adapt our presentation to fit the theme of your choice. Contact Marlene for education programs and to report cases of abuse or neglect:
Please note: Complaints regarding excessive dog barking are not cruelty-related; please contact your local municipality.
How you can help animal suffering by encouraging humane education....
- Suggest to local school officials, teachers, and community group leaders to take advantage of free humane education sessions offered by Dessin.
- Write to your state legislators and district prosecuting attorneys to demand maximum penalties for animal abusers
- Urge local legislators to pass better anti-cruelty laws
- Plant the seed of compassion. Praise children for showing kindness to animals.
- If you witness cruelty to animals, don't just look away! ACT!
Humane Education Links:
American Humane Association - http://www.americanhumane.org/ - Great for K-12 students. All materials are available for download.
PETAKids - http://www.petakids.com/ - Kids can subscribe for a free magazine. This is a cool, colorful magazine.
Janies Coloring Hats - http://www.coloringhats.com/ - Fun activity where kids can color animal drawings and make them into hats